We’ve got a lot of phrases that capture the essence of ego. We say ‘she’s got a big head,’ or ‘he thinks the world revolves around him.’ There’s my personal favorite, one I often heard my grandfather say, ‘he’s getting too big for his britches.’
But as entrepreneurs, don’t we need ego to do the improbable, or is confidence enough?
Today’s guest, Ryan Holiday, admits to struggling with ego. According to him, that’s exactly why he wrote his latest book, Ego is the Enemy. In this episode you’ll discover:
- The heart wrenching story of an author who committed suicide after a book rejection, only to have it go on to win the Pulitzer Prize posthumously
- The distinction between ego and confidence
- Why it’s impossible to be ego-less and what humility REALLY means
- Why turning your life into a story can destroy your future
Whether you struggle with ego or pride yourself on your humility, this is an episode you don’t want to miss.
- At 3:50 – Ryan explains why humility doesn’t always get you want you want, and where your focus should be instead.
- At 12:00 – Danny and Ryan discuss celebrating personal wins without allowing yourself to be caught up in your own greatness.
- At 16:00 – Ryan explains the difference between ego and confidence, and why you shouldn’t take credit for things that helped you succeed.
- At 20:00 – Ryan gives his thoughts on the whole idea of ‘fake it till you make it,’ and how it feeds the ego in a very unhealthy way.
- At 23:00 – Danny and Ryan discuss the ‘narrative fallacy’ in regards to the story you tell yourself and others about your life, and how it can be destructive to your success.
How to Make Money Blogging
Get the definitive guide on turning your blog into an income stream.